This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
WinRAR is an archive manager and data compression software. WinRAR allows you to compress large files and extract compressed files.
What are compressed files?
Perhaps you have downloaded a file that had to be “unpacked” first? This must have been a compressed file, in other words a file which had its size reduced. Only when compressed files are decompressed can you use them in the way they are intended. Compressed files have been reduced in size by software such as WinRAR. Compressing files is also called packing. A compressed file will be shown as .rar or .zip.
Why compress files?
Compressing large files makes files much smaller. This reduces the amount of storage space and makes the file easier to share with others. That’s why the files that you download are often compressed. This is also the case on Usenet.
You can easily download WinRAR at www.win-rar.com. You can purchase the programme immediately or try the beta version first. WinRAR costs €29,95 excluding VAT.
Wrap a file with WinRAR
Follow these step-by-step instructions to pack a file with WinRAR.
Step 1. In the Explorer, locate the file you want to pack. Right-click on the file and select “Add to archive..”.
Step 2. WinRARopens and shows you the following page:
- At “Archive name” you can customize the file name.
- At “Archive Format” you generally will opt for RAR, unless you need another type of file.
- At ” Split to Volumes”, choose the maximum size of the RAR file.
- It is also possible to secure the file with a password. This can be done in “Set Password”. It’s not needed to change any of the other options.
- Click on “OK”.
Stap 3. The file is now compressed. The packed file is automatically saved in the same folder as the original file. You recognize the RAR file by the WinRAR logo.
Unzipping or extracting a file with WinRAR
Follow these step-by-step instructions to extract a file with WinRAR.
Step 1. Navigate to the file in the Explorer. Right-click on the file. You will now see three options with the WinRAR logo.
- Option 1: “Extract Files” allows you to customize the new file location.
- Option 2: “Extract here” means the file will be opened in the current folder.
- Option 3: “Extract to ….. ” a new folder with the specified name will be created.
- Choose an option and select “OK”.
Step 2. With option 2 and 3, the file will be unpacked and stored immediately at the location you have chosen. Option 1 opens WinRAR.
You can see this in option 3. In “Destination path” choose the folder where the file will be saved. Then click on “OK”. The file will be extracted and stored in the location you specified.