This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
- Retention: 3300+ days
- Payment: Creditcard, Paypal
- Connections: 30
- SSL protection: 256-bit encryption
- Price: From $8,33 per month
Newshosting is a Usenet provider with fast servers in the United States and Europe. A Usenet account with Newshosting is accompanied by a special Usenet browser to search and download files. You also get access to VPN servers to download and browse the internet anonymously and safely. Newshosting’s head office is in Florida, where there are very favourable privacy laws.
Newshosting essentially offers 3 services. You get access to their Usenet servers, a Usenet browser and a VPN service.
Newshosting Usenet servers
As a customer you will be able to use Newshosting’s fast and stable Usenet servers. These servers contain millions of movies, songs, series, programs and text files, which are available to download and share. There are over 110.000 newsgroups on Usenet, all of which become accessible when you are subscribed to Newshosting.
Several features of the Usenet servers of Newshosting
- Servers in the USA, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Fast servers with up to 1GB/s download speeds.
- 3300+ days retention.
- 30 simultaneous connections allowed.
- SSL support: protection of your download traffic with 256-bit encryption.
- Solid privacy reassurance: no logs.
- Supported by all popular newsreaders, Sonarr, Radarr, CouchPotato and SickBeard.
- Complete files (99% completion guarantee).
Newshosting Usenet browser
Newshosting offers all subscribers a free Usenet browser (Usenet reader). This Usenet browser works with Windows, OSx (mac) and Linux. The greatest advantage of this newsreader is its ease of use. To get started with the newsreader you just need your Newshosting username and password. The newsreader enables you to search within the newsgroups and to download files. The files you download are automatically examined, repaired and unpacked. Videos can be watched even during the download process is still in progress. You can even indicate that certain files need to be downloaded by the newsreader once the files become available on Usenet. Lastly, NZB files can automatically be opened and downloaded by this newsreader.
Newshosting VPN service
Newshosting also offers access to a VPN service. A VPN secures your internet traffic (including download traffic) and redirects all your traffic via an anonymous server. This way your data traffic can no longer be intercepted and your internet activities cannot be traced to your IP address. You become anonymous on the internet. Newshosting offers its customers a free VPN client which works with Windows and OSx (mac). The application seems fast and stable, although it lacks some features which more renowned VPN providers do offer. Think of features like a speed test or a kill switch. The VPN servers of Newshosting are fast and should suffice in offering you are secure and anonymous browsing and downloading experience. Another good thing: Newshosting does nog keep user logs for its VPN service.
Features of Newshosting’s VPN service
- No speed or data limits.
- Possible VPN protocols: OpenVPN, L2TP en PPTP.
- 730+ VPN servers in Australia, Begium, Brazil, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, The Netherlands, Poland, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, England and the USA.
- 2 simultaneous VPN connections allowed.
- No logs!
- Download the Newhosting VPN here (you will need an active Newshosting subscription).
Newshosting packages and price
Newshosting offers 3 different packages. All packages come with a free trial (which lasts 13 days or 30GB, whichever comes first). The different packages are the following:
- Lite version: The Lite package is decent for beginners. You can profit from many of Newshosting’s features, including the 3300+ day retention and the free Newshosting Browser (newsreader). Downside of the lite version is that the VPN is not included. There also is a 50GB download limit each month. If you are planning on regularly using your Usenet subscription, the other packages might be more interesting for you.
- Unlimited version (best choice): The Unlimited package is generally seen as Newshosting’s most competitive and interesting package. There are no data limits, and you have access to all Usenet servers and Newshosting’s Browser feature. The VPN is included when you opt for the annual Unlimited package, but it’s optional if you go for the 1 month version.
- XL Powerpack: The XL powerpack is suitable for those downloading 24/7. You’ll get a whopping 60 simultaneous connections instead of 30. An average user rarely needs over 20 or 30 connections, so the XL Powerpack could be an option if you are planning to use a single Usenet account with more than 1 person.
Newshosting offers three different packages and the right choice depends on how much you’d like to download and whether you want to share your subscription. Be careful of the privacy risks involved in sharing a subscription though, we generally advise strongly against it. The best choice for most users is the Unlimited package, for which there is an interesting discount deal available.
Newshosting special lifetime discount
Downloading with Newshosting
When you subscribe to Newshosting you will receive your login details with which you can start using the Usenet servers. These login details can be used with your own newsreader (like SABnzbd, GrabIt, Newsleecher, Newsbin Pro or Binreader). Finding files is possible with Usenet search machines or Spotnet. Alternatively, you can use the Newshosting Usenet Browser as an all-in-one solution for finding files and downloading them. To connect to the Usenet servers you will need the following details:
- News server hostname: NEWS.NEWSHOSTING.COM
- Ports: 119 (No SSL) or 563 (SSL = encrypted)
Security and privacy Newshosting
Newshosting states that privacy and anonymity are key values. To begin with, they offer SSL encryption. Furthermore, Newshosting claims not to keep track of anything you download:
“Newshosting does not monitor or record your activities online. We do not monitor which newsgroups you post to or download from or what you put in news articles that you post.”
Additionally, Newshosting offers a VPN service to encrypt all internet traffic and to redirect your connection through an external server. Your IP address will be hidden and nobody will be able to see what you download or upload, or what websites you visit. Newshosting furthermore indicates that they will under no circumstance monitor user activity, even when the authorities come knocking.
Newshosting offers 24/7 customer support through e-mail. All communication with customer support will be in Englis, which we assume will not be an issue since you are reading this article in said language. We always test customer support of providers by sending them a test question through email. From Newshosting we received a, extensive response within several hours, so we have really no compaints in this regard. Well, just our general complaint which applies to all Usenet providers, being that we appreciate live chat support. No Usenet provider seems to offer that.
We downloaded several files with the Newshosting Usenet servers, and made use of the SSL connection to do so. We consistently obtained our internet connection’s maximum download speed, namely 200 mbit/s. In everyday practice this means that you will practically always be able to utilize the full potential of your internet connection when using Newshosting. The servers and connection speeds are very rapid.
Conclusion: Is Newshosting any good?
Newshosting is a fast and reliable Usenet provider. It seems the vast majority of downloads are complete (over 99.9% completion rate). Speeds run up to 1 GB per second. With a main office in Florida, users can be sure that no user logs have to be kept. Additionally, Newshosting offers a fast VPN service, which means you can stay safe and anonymous whilst downloading and browsing the web.